Tuesday, May 18, 2010

May 16 -- San Diego

I dropped my hiker trash (a term of endearment in the hiker community), Paul and Sonya, off at a Starbucks in downtown Visalia, CA. They were grateful for the ride out of the park and all of the transportation and assistance that I had provided them. They are an interesting couple, and I'm glad I met them. Having spent the previous three weeks traveling alone, I enjoyed their company. I wish them well in their travels.

I hit the freeway about 8:00 am and cruised south on this Sunday morning. I had really been sweating driving through the heart of Los Angeles on I-5, but it was not a problem. Thankfully, traffic wasn't bad, but I wouldn't want to experience it during rush hour. I could see what a mess that would be. Unfortunately, it was overcast and smoggy, so visibility was limited, and I didn't get to see anything. I didn't even get a good view of downtown, even though I was pretty close. South of L.A., I-5 tracks fairly closely along the coastline, so I did get some limited views of the Pacific Ocean. I wish it had been a sunny day. I'm sure it would have been more beautiful.

Unexpectedly, I made it to San Diego in about four hours, which was a lot less than I had imagined. I was happy to Jan and Jim again. They are both angels from heaven. Jan and I walked down the street and visited briefly with Scout and Frodo. It was good to see them again, too. Jan then made a fabulous dinner. I had been craving real food (i.e., something other than peanut butter and snack food), so I gorged on chicken, potatoes, and artichokes. Yum.

Tomorrow, I will fly home. I don't like flying, but I will be glad to be home. I have missed my mom, my home, my children, and my friends. But, wow, what a fabulous time I have had!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment