Sunday, January 24, 2010

Headed West

Several people have asked me how exactly am I going to get from Pensacola, Florida, to San Diego, California, on a bicycle. Interstate? Bike path? Back roads? The technical answer is yes. (I am a lawyer, after all, and I have to be precise -- or is it obscure?). At any rate, the vast majority of the trip will be on smaller rural roads -- theoretically, lower-traffic roads, which will be relatively safe. At least that's what I tell myself (and my mom). For example (and this is for those who live in or near Pensacola), the route runs the length of Scenic Highway, then down Cervantes to 14th Street (no, not through the train trestle squeeze of 17th Ave), then along Bayfront/Main Street, out Barrancas, and then out Gulf Beach Highway. Piece of cake, right? Totally insane say most non-bicylists I know. But that's the route. Of course, once I leave the Pensacola area, I will be blissfully ignorant that State Road Whatever is the local speedtrack. At that point, I can just tool along, practicing the skill of abject denial.

But while I have the attention of some of you who might be traveling these roads in your weapons of mass destruction, would you mind sharing the roadway? I know bicycles annoy you, but really, I have the right to be here, too. After all, I pay taxes. (Which reminds me, I have to do my tax return before I leave. Boo! Hiss!) And while I'm asking for favors, would you mind moving over a bit when you pass me at 90 miles per hour, honking your horn in my ear? The sand spray from your tires stings my skin and gets stuck in my teeth. I am, after all, lower to the ground on my recumbent trike. Thanks so much! As if.

But I digress. There is a non-profit organization called the Adventure Cycling Association (www.adventurecycling.org) that has developed a network of bicycle routes all over the United States. Here's a map of those routes: (www.adventurecycling.org/routes/RouteNetwork.pdf). The one I and my travel mates are taking is called the Southern Tier route. It is 3,132 miles long and runs from St. Augustine, Florida, to San Diego, California. Since I'm starting in Pensacola, I will have to do only 2,500 miles of it. Only. There are maps, of course, created by the ACA. They detail the route and provide information like elevation change and sights to see and motels, campgrounds, or stores to use. Then, there's this way-cool Google Earth map that this tech-savvy guy named Steve created. Here's the link: (http://tsteven4.qwestoffice.net). Find "Southern Tier" under "Route Maps," then click on "Geo." It takes a minute to load. Then zoom in and click on the features. It's pretty cool.

Well, that's all for now. Stay tuned for photos of Priscilla (my bike) and other interesting stuff!

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment