Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 15 - Mar 1 - A blessed day off

The rain started around 5:30 a.m., tap, tap, tapping on my tent. I knew it was supposed to rain all day and into the night, so I hopped up, grabbed my panniers, which were under the rain fly, and headed for the nasty washateria. I put on all my clothes and tried to sleep in a chair, but I was so cold. The guys came in one after another throughout the morning. Dave has a pot with an electric heating element in it, so he boiled water for hot drinks.

By 11 a.m., the ground outside was saturated, and most of the stuff in my tent was wet. We had all decided to rent a motel in town, so we began to pack all of our wet stuff while standing in the rain. It was 40 degrees outside.

I had yet to replace the tube in my back tire, so I knew I wouldn't be able to ride anywhere until I did. The thought of standing in the rain and changing the tube was not appealing, so I asked the man who ran the RV park if he would be willing to drive me and my bike the few miles to the motel we had agreed to stay at, which was conveniently located next to -- where else -- Walmart. He agreed, so we loaded my bike and gear and left the guys behind. Sorry guys.

When I got to the motel, they had no rooms. Now what? I tried calling the guys, but no one answered their phone. A man came out of the motel and started chatting with me about my bike and the trip. I must have seemed pathetic as I groused about the motel being full, because he drove to another motel down the road, confirmed they had a room available, and came back to tell me. How nice. I was truly touched by that.

Soon thereafter, Dave rode up, so he and I went to the motel down the road and got a room, hoping the other guys would finally contact me, so I could tell them where we were. They did, and we soon headed to Walmart to shop (the guys finally got their beer). We then went to Pizza Hut and each got a large pizza.

Clean, warm, and full, I finally tackled my flat tire. It's much, much easier to change a flat inside a motel room, than on the side of the road. It's nice to be able to wash your hands afterwards.

My day off is winding down, but I don't feel particularly rested. I spent the morning so cold and tired that I never could relax. Once we got to the motel, there were constant chores to be done, including this post. Hopefully, I'll have a few hours to rest before I go to bed.

I've been getting alot of sweet comments and emails. I wish I had the time to respond to each of you individually. I don't, so I'll just tell you all right here: I appreciate your comments and encouragement and "tough love." It means alot to me that you would take the time to write to me.

The guys are being really sweet, too. While we (Ryan, Bryan, and Mike) waited for our pizzas, they (a) offered to carry all my gear, so I could bike faster, (b) suggested I buy a motor for my bike, or (c) trade my bike for a motor home and be their sag wagon. They don't want me to go home.

I'm still considering riding to Hempstead, TX, where Ryan's aunt lives and re-grouping there. If the weather doesn't improve dramatically between then and now, then I will head home. I just can't stand being cold all the time. It's just tearing me down. We'll see.

Time to wind it down. Gotta rest some. Talk at you tomorrow. I'm not sure where we're going tomorrow, so stayed tuned on our destination. The campgrounds are either 19 miles away or 75 miles away. I hope we do something in between. I'll let you know when I know.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

4 comments:

  1. Imagine me singing in my best Yo Gabba Gabba Voice, "Keep trying, keep trying, don't give up, you'll get it right. Keep trying, keep trying, don't give up, you'll give it right. Don't stop. Don't stop. Don't give up, you'll get it right." (And here is where the DJ Lance rap starts. It is a requirement that you stand up and dance now.) "Don't stop. Don't give up. Don't stop. Don't give up!".... If you have never seen Yo Gabba Gabba, then you really must google this. Any time I seem the least bit frustrated, Aidan pipes up with this song and it always makes me smile!

    I agree with the boys... Buy a motor! You may never be in a position to take 7 months away from the 4pm meetings and the jail again... And you may never find such an awesome group of dashing young gentlemen to bike cross country with!!! Let them help you. They can carry your stuff. Rig a spaceheater to your bike and in your tent.... What's the aunt's address??? I'll buy a ton of handwarmer things (like we looked for at walmart) and mail them to her house. Let us know what you need to complete your journey and we will get it shipped there. Either way, I agree with Amanda's comment yesterday, you've done a great job.... but I really hope you will push through the pain and complete this great adventure. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well o.k. then ,this post sounds much much better,dont know what to say. dont give up ,i know thats easy for me to say,but what can i say. well i just got done looking at the weather map and you should have quite a few days of good weather in front of you,and GOD BLESS THE GUYS.admitting that you have a problem is the first step in recovery,NOW step up and ask for help,since its already being offered TAKE IT,we sometimes need help to overcome a problem and it sounds like you have a great bunch of guys that are willing to help, so take it. like i said befor ,cant have the good without the bad,well you have had plenty of bad,so maybe its time for a strecth of good ?wouldnt you say?? SARA i cant tell you what to do one way or the other,AND no matter what you decide,you are a HERO in my book,and you have fought the good fight so it comes down to what you want to do AND feel right about.just remember that feelings arent facts.plus,courage is not doing something you know how to do and arent afraid of,courage is being afraid of doing something and doing it anyway,i dont know if that came out right or not,courage is overcoming your fear,SARA i believe in you and this great adventure and i think the guys do too,the choice is yours ,look in side be still and quiet and the answer will come,just trust in that small quiet voice inside you and YOU WILL come to the right answer, no matter what the answer is YOU ARE A HERO IN MY BOOK, never mind being one tough lady. PEACE RIDE HARD LIVE FREE David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan's aunt's address is as follows:
    Peggy Wicks, 24564 Laneview Rd., Hempstead, TX 77445. She is really looking forward to meeting you guys. Hang out there for a few days and recharge your batteries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give up! You'll regret it for the rest of your life. Things will be hard but you'll be fine. Unless your life is in danger or you run out of money keep going. It's mind over mater now and you can do it! Let your dream continue. We are all behind you!Take some time off if you need to but hang in there. You can do it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete