Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day 18 - Mar 4 - Bicycling missionaries

All four of us managed to throw our sleeping bags down on the concrete floor of a small gazebo outside the library in Kountze, TX. It was 38 degrees last night, and I froze to death. Because of the cold I caught, I barely slept a wink. I awoke at 5:30 a.m., needing to use the restroom, but I didn't want to get out of my sleeping bag, because it was so cold. The closest restroom was 3 blocks away at a 24-hour convenience store (otherwise, I had to bare all on the library lawn; not my favored option). I couldn't help but start crying. I was soooo miserable.

While I lay there simpering, Mike woke up. He walked with me to the convenience store, and we sat there until 7 a.m., drinking coffee. While I sat there, I pondered how I could get to Beaumont, where I could rent a car to go home. I figured I could pay someone to haul me and my bike the 50 miles or so south into the city.

After the sun came up, Mike and I walked back to the library and started packing up. I was sooo sad, thinking that (a) I was a quitter, (b) I was a failure, and (c) I might never see these guys again. I really love these guys. They are sooo cool. I've really gotten to know them, and I think the world of them. The thought of leaving them made me cry, which I did for awhile, sitting outside the library.

When I told them of my plan to go to Beaumont, they began telling me stories of hard times they've had, and of funny stories that made me laugh. They cheered me up. Then they suggested we go back to the convenience store to have pancakes for breakfast. Sold.

After we ate, I still felt bad, because of my cold and the lack of sleep, and I didn't know how I was going to make it 50 miles to the next stop on the tour, but I decided to try. It was a tough decision. Once made, it meant that I was locked into going to Hempstead, since we would be traveling away from a large town that would allow me to go home. Four more days on the road -- sick and tired and cold and sad. For whatever reason, I decided to keep going -- for better or worse.

The weather warmed up quickly, and we had a good road with a wide shoulder for most of the day. Still, I was lagging. It was difficult to breathe. We went through a very long, desolate stretch of highway, through timberland, some of which was clear-cut.

We stopped after 20 miles at a post office in the middle of nowhere to rest, then hit the road for another 15 mile stretch.




Our next stop was a feed store, which was perfect, since we needed to be fed. It was here that Mike earned his road name, The Bee Charmer. He revealed to Bryan and me that he had an aversion to bees, which were swarming all around us. He started swatting at them vigorously. One hit me in the chest. Despite Mike's aggression, none of them fought back and attacked us. So I dubbed him The Bee Charmer.

Carol previously named Bryan, "Dirty Bird," which has stuck with him since Pensacola. And I decided yesterday that Ryan should be called "Honey Buns," since he always seems to have one in hand, one in mouth, or several strapped to his bike. I have yet to acquire my road name, or at least the guys won't call me it directly.

After we stopped for snacks at the feed store, I passed two women and two teenaged girls in their yard, somewhere near the intersection of East Bejesus Farm Road and North Bejesus Farm Road. I waved my standard sideways Miss America wave, and they waved back. One of the women yelled, "Where ya headed?" I responded, "California." She replied, "Are ya spreadin' the word of God?" Having now passed them in full stride, I yelled loudly over my shoulder, "Absolutely!" I think the woman said, "Alright then." I smiled and kept peddling.

A few miles later, we stopped at a country store. Because I had snacked at the post office, I did not snack at the feed store. By the time I got to the country store, I was dizzy and my legs had turned to rubber. We had only been 35 miles and had another 15 to go. Next time you get a cold, go to the gym (or wherever) and exercise as hard as you can for three and a half hours, then tell me how you feel. 'Cause I felt bad.

I grabbed a quart (not a pint, a quart) of chocolate milk (Borden makes the best) and chugged. It was soooo good, but it was alot all at once. I then ordered a cheese sandwich and fries, but couldn't quite manage to eat them. Never fear, the guys will inhale all leftovers, which they did.

Unfortunately, I felt really, really bad after lunch. I knew it would be a struggle to make it the last 15 miles. The first 5 weren't that bad. I took it kind of slow. Then we turned onto a really, really bad road that beat me to death, which lasted for about another 5 miles. The last 5 nearly killed me. I felt so bad and really struggled to make it up the last few hills. I was literally wheezing and gasping for breath.

Finally, we made it to Shepherd, TX, and stopped at the grocery store to ask directions to the town's only motel. A young female cashier and a customer gave me directions (which were not difficult), then I left to do some shopping. While checking out with the same cashier, she asked me if I remembered the directions. I smiled and told her that I had just bicycled from Florida, so I thought I could remember how to get there. At that news, she got sooo excited and flipped her light off, so she could go outside to see our bikes and meet the guys. She was too sweet.

We're now piled into a motel room. I feel so much better after a shower. Three days and two nights without one had certainly added to my misery. The guys can go a week without a shower and not think a thing about it, but I can't. That was too long for me. But sometimes one just isn't available.




We're getting ready to do laundry. We've been wearing the same clothes for a week. That's nasty, too, but it's harder to do laundry than it is to get a shower. It will be nice to have clean clothes for tomorrow.

Okay, that's it. There are chores to be done before bedtime. Not sure where we're headed tomorrow. Probably a campground between New Waverly and Richards. We'll see. Talk at you tomorrow.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

5 comments:

  1. HIYA SARA,wow you are doing it,stop being so hard on your self,i am so glad you are getting this done,remember if you do this one wheel revoulition at a time you will get there,i have been really beating my self up these past few days,first because things went south money wise for me and now because i have been looking at my money flow and am realizing that my money will never be there to do a trip like this,so not to put any pressure on you, but you gotta do this. no just kidding ,but heres hoping that you can find the courage to finish this journey.it really sucks to be honest with myself and realalize that being on a fixed income sucks,ALTHOUGH i am very greatful for the things i do have,sobriety, a home ,a wondeful relationship, a GOD of MY understanding that will help me work a way to make and be at peace with my money situation.GOD doesnt close one door that HE doesnt open another one,its just that being in the hallway really sucks,but HE will get me to that door.SARA ,i told you once i told you a hundred times ,BUT i will tell you again YOU ARE MY HERO,just keep pedaling you will get there, as always you and the guys are in my prayers be safe ,ride hard live free.p.s. check your e-mail i sent you my #'s in case you would like to call. David

    ReplyDelete
  2. My aspiration for you continues to grow. Keep pushing hard and you will make it. Just know that no matter what, you have family in Louisiana that is proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.K. Sara ,needin an update here,been since thursday since your last post,startin to get worried,let us know whats goin on, Please.

    ReplyDelete