Monday, February 15, 2010

Day 1 - Feb 15 - A good start

The day began cold and raining.


                                        (From left: Me, Mike, Ryan, Jeff, Bryan, Carol, and Rosie)


                                                      (From left: Ryan, Bryan, and Jeff)

Not a good way to start a bike trip. We waited for the rain to stop and left around 9:30 a.m. It was cold! I was warm, however, from all the well-wishes from my friends, who braved the cold and rain to give us a nice send-off. It was hard to leave home. I will worry about my mom, my babies, and my home, even though I know in my heart they will all be fine.

Then I had another great send-off when I stopped by the courthouse. My peeps at work all came outside and gave me giant hugs. It meant so much to me. You guys have no idea.

At lunchtime, we stopped at a nice park and ate.



                                 (From left: Mike and Bryan and Rosie with Jeff in the background)

It cleared up nicely, but the wind picked up after noon, which made it tough going. The guys took off, which was fine. They're so much stronger. So Carol and Rosie and I hung together.


                             (From a bridge to Perdido Key over the intracoastal waterway looking east)

Lessons learned: Take more breaks and eat more. I really lost steam around 3 p.m. And wear more sunscreen on the face. Ouch! Chapstick, too.

When we pulled into Gulf State Park, the campground was full. All 500 spaces. Luckily, Carol knew a couple staying here, who knew the managers, so they gave us an emergency spot and charged us only once. We pitched 6 tents in one camping spot among 500 RV's. We're thankful, though. We've already experienced the kindness of stranger. It's wonderful! 





We're going to do a short day tomorrow. Only 26 miles to Dauphin island. I'll explain why tomorrow. I'm beyond tired and ready to hit the hay. It's going to be 29 degrees tonight, so wish me a warm night in my tent!

Thank you all again for my well-wishes today! It meant so much to me.

I'm still trying to figure out how to attach photos to the blog, so none today. But stay tuned.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

1 comment: