Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 6 - Feb 20 - Revenge of the hills

Got to sleep in a bed last night. It was glorious. Thanks, Sara! Carol claims that I snore, so she slept on a chair in the living room. I didn't hear a thing, so . . . whatever.

We snuck out of Sara's dorm room around 7 a.m. and had a wonderful breakfast in the cafeteria. We ate with the school's baseball team, which was heading out to play a game, I think.

In case you haven't figured it out, food is a high priority. We burn so many calories that food is virtually always on our minds. And it's hard to carry tasty food, because it's heavy.

Anyway, we hit the road about 8:30 and rode together for 10 miles or so. Carol got a flat tire (her third since starting in St. Augustine), so we spent awhile on the side of the road while she put in a spare tube. Just as we took off, we went down a big hill and my left brake froze solid. The guys didn't realize it and kept going. Carol and I pondered the issue for awhile, and then I flagged down two guys in a pickup truck. One of them knew how to bleed the brake line, so I was back in business. I still need to find a bike shop, but it's significantly better.

It was a day of hills, which was taxing on my legs, but my knees feel much better. While Carol changed her flat tire, I lengthened my boom back to where it was. My knees thanked me.

It was a short day riding. We did only 30 miles today. We're staying tonight at the Haas-Cienda Ranch, which is really just a flat pasture with RV hookups. The woman who runs the place let us throw our sleeping bags down on a covered deck, so we don't have to pitch a tent tonight. That's nice.


                                               (Haas-Cienda Ranch very early in the morning)

The scenery today was mostly ranch land and timberland that had been cut and planted with saplings. Once again, there were no services whatsoever. Carol and I had lunch under the awning of a church that was deserted.





The most interesting part of the day was coming upon two guys, Dan and Steve, who are roller-blading to San Diego. They started in St. Augustine on Feb 1, the same day Bryan and Carol began. Someone loaned them a huge motor home to use as a sag wagon, so they roll all day and crash in the motor home. Must be nice! They were raising money for leukemia research. They were very interesting guys.





Tomorrow, Carol and Mike and I are headed to Franklinton, MS. It should be a 50 mile day. And we think it might rain tomorrow afternoon, so stay tuned for that.

Meanwhile, Bryan and Ryan left for New Orleans. Jeff has ridden ahead, too. We may meet up with him in a few days. So it's just us three now.

Carol and I are getting ready to tear up an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet. It's supposed to have crab legs, and I LOVE crab legs. So long for now. Hope to have a signal tomorrow to post again.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment