Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 4 - Feb 18 - A nice break

Since I had such a hard time yesterday, the guys agreed to do a low-mileage day today, so we only did 24 miles. We had a nice rest mid-day at a community park in Vancleave, MS. The sun was shining brightly and it warmed up nicely, so we hung out for quite awhile. It was a nice break. Ryan kindly fixed my fender and recalibrated my bike computer that calculates my mileage and speed, etc. He's so handy! I think I'll keep him around!
                                                  (A country "estate" on the way to Vancleave)


                                                 (The community park in Vancleave, MS)

We left Hurley, MS, around 9 am with a fully belly of eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, coffee and orange juice. Thanks triple time to Charles and Sherrill Bush for being so generous and accommodating. It was a very rejuvenating night.

We left Hurley and traveled through the Pascagoula River Wildlife Management Area, which was a swamp area. However, the road had NO shoulder whatsoever, so it was hard to look around and enjoy the scenery.

The scenery in general is pretty nondescript. It all begins to look the same after awhile. Just rural America. I wish the counties would spring for bike lanes. They make biking life so much less stressful, especially since I'm such a lane hog with my trike.

So we're staying with a nice couple (Debbie and Andy), who live in between Vancleave and Latimer, MS. It's funny to see six tents laid out all over the yard. We're about to sit down to a meal of chicken pot pie. Yum! Courtesy of our hosts.



                                                        (Debbie and Andy's house)
                                                     (From left: Jeff, Debbie, and Mike)
                                                    (From left: Bryan, Carol, and Jeff)
                                               (From left: Bryan, Ryan, Mike, Debbie, and Jeff)

Tomorrow we're going to hoof it to Perkinston, MS. Not sure where we're going to stay, probably an RV park. Need to do laundry. I'm beginning to smell.

No interesting road debris today. Just lots of road kill. Since Mardi Gras was Tuesday, we've been following a trail of beads. I've made a game of trying to scoop them up. So far they've all been broken. But I'll keep trying. I like to accessorize.

So long for now. Time to eat.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment