Friday, April 16, 2010

April 16 -- I'm in San Diego!

To Newell: I'm safe and sound at Scout and Frodo's house in San Diego. You can stop reading now, especially since this is going to be a fairly long post. I've had an exciting day.

To everyone else: As one might imagine, I didn't sleep well last night. Not only was I nervous/excited, but I went to the gym last night and didn't have a spa to relax in afterwards, since I had drained it, so my muscles were protesting during the night. Something to look forward to in the upcoming days/weeks/months.

I spent the morning trying to remember to do every last little thing before I flew to the other side of the continent and left everything I know and love. It was really hard to leave. My children knew I was leaving and were very clingy. They seemed sad, too. I will worry about them endlessly, and I miss them already.

My mom took me to the airport and waited with me until it was nearly time to go. I haven't flown in a really long time, so I dreaded the whole check-in and security process, with visions of them breaking open my box and rummaging through all my stuff, but it was really a breeze. I walked right up to the counter, handed the woman my e-ticket, and that was it. There were only four people in line at the scanners, so that went quickly, too, and I wasn't singled out for a body cavity search or anything else. It's still creepy to take off one's shoes. That's just gross, walking around on the carpet where other people have been walking without shoes with God knows what foot cooties.

Anyway, the flight to Houston was relatively quick, but on a small aircraft. We took off and followed the bay, then along the coast. Since I was seated by a window, I followed the roads we took on the bike trip -- all the way to Dauphin Island. That was cool. Like I said, I hadn't been in a plane in awhile and had forgotten just how small our barrier islands really are in such a vast body of water. We followed the coast all the way to Texas, before heading inland to Houston.

I had planned to eat in Houston, but my first leg was a little late, so I had only five minutes to run from one terminal to the other and hop on my next leg, so I didn't get to eat. It was a three hour flight. The plane was big and completely full. I had the joy of sitting next to a woman with a two year old. Her husband was in the seat in front of her with a four month old. There was another young child behind us. However, the one next to me decided to have not one, but two, full-blown temper tantrums, with piercing screams. The mother and father just sat there and let her cry. It was incredible. Between tantrums, I did manage a nap, which was good, but I was starving by the time I got to San Diego.

As soon as I grabbed my box off the conveyor, Frodo (Sandy) pulled up in her Prius and drove me to her house. It's a very large home near La Jolla, which is a very nice area. Scout (Barney) is an attorney. Staying here tonight are a Canadian couple, three Kiwis, and two girls from Israel. Aside from our hosts, I'm the only American here! Scout and Frodo have just totally opened their home -- snacks everywhere-- and have given me a bedroom. So I get to sleep in a bed tonight!!

One of their neighbors, Jan, who has also hiked the trail (in sections), brought over a fabulous dinner for all -- salmon, vegetables, bread, and apple crisp. It was delicious. I'm now ready for bed, even though it's only 8 pm here. I'm still on Central time, so I might turn in soon.

Tomorrow, I'm going to shop for food and put the finishing touches on my provisions. Scout or Frodo is going to drive me to the trail Sunday morning at 6 am. So tomorrow will be something of a rest day. The Kiwis are leaving tomorrow, but others are coming in. Everyone is so interesting! This is going to be a wonderful experience.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are in San Diego! Looking forward to this adventure! Newell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to see you are going ahead with PCT and am looking forward to reading you adventure. Good luck and happy trails.

    ReplyDelete