Thursday, April 29, 2010

April 28 -- Joshua Tree National Park

The wind howled all night last night, keeping me awake. Sometime early in the morning it subsided for awhile, and I was able to get a little sleep. I was up by 6 am and out of the campground by 6:30. Fortunately, there was a restaurant open in Borrego Springs, so I was able to get coffee and a bagel before I hit the road.

I drove east to the Salton Sea, then headed north. At the northern tip of the Sea, I took a small county road through farm land full of corn, potatoes, citrus, and grapes. The road then wound its way through a beautiful canyon, and I emerged just south of the southern entrance to Josua Tree National Park. As was the case just west of Borrego Springs, the hills were alive with the color of spring blooms in the desert. So many different types of vegetation were blooming. It is very pretty.

I arrived at the campground at 9:30 am and quickly set off on a 10-mile round-trip trail that ran from the campground to a palm oasis, like the one I hiked at Anza-Borrego. It was absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to post the pics from the trail. The weather here is much cooler than Anza, so it was a pleasant hike. The sun is setting now, and it's getting quite chilly. I think the ranger said it will be in the mid- to upper 40's tonight. Quite the change from last night.

I guess since I didn't get much sleep last night, I'm totally wasted. I can't wait to crawl into my sleeping bag and rest, especially since I'm cold now. Wind is not an issue, at least not right now, so I hope I will be able to sleep.

Tomorrow, I'm going to see more sights in Joshue Tree, then head back west to Idyllwild. There are only two campgrounds that have water in this park. I'm at one now, though there are no showers. Bummer. The campgrounds I would need to stay in tomorrow night would not have any water, and I'm just not in the mood for that, so I will head to Idyllwild. From there, I'm not sure. I'll have to decide tomorrow where I'm headed next. Stay tuned.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sara,
    The canyon you drove through from the top of the Salton Sea to the south edge of Joshua Tree NP would have been Box Canyon. You crossed the San Andreas fault which is why the rocks were so crushed and the hills so twisted. It's a favorite field trip site for geology professors.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete