Tuesday, April 27, 2010

April 27 -- Still in Anza-Borrego

Jan, my most wonderful host in San Diego, drove over to hike with me today. She has been section-hiking a trail that runs from the ocean to the Salton Sea and needed to hike a 7-mile section near where I've been staying, so we hiked together today. It was a fabulous hike. The hills were alive with color. And we saw two jack rabbits. They are BIG bunnies!

After our hike, Jan and I stopped at a water cache provided for the PCT hikers. This section of the trail is notoriously devoid of natural water sources, so kind souls bring in boxes and boxes of bottled water. This hiker community is truly exceptional. Jan then took a hiker into Julian, where I went yesterday with two others. I went the opposite direction, back to Anza-Borrego State Park. I had intended to hike a trail at the park yesterday, but got back too late, so I returned to hike that trail. It began at the campground and went a mile and a half into a canyon. At its end was a waterfall and a copse of really large palm trees. It was truly an oasis in the desert. Just lovely. Fortunately, the sky had clouded over for this hike, as it was 100 degrees when I arrived, according to the park ranger at the gate. On the hike, I saw a really pretty blue and green lizard, then near the end I saw my first rattlesnake. It was poised on a rock to the side of the trail and rattled at me when I walked by. It scared the wits out of me.

Since my second hike of the day ended around 5:30 pm, I decided to stay at the campground another night. I made dinner, such as it was, and took a shower, which felt wonderful. I actually had to pay to shower, but it was worth every penny! I'm now ready for bed, hoping the wind will die down soon. The sky has clouded over, and it's supposed to rain, but I hope it doesn't. I guess I can always jump in the car if it gets too bad.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Warner Springs, where some of my hiking peeps should be, and then to Idyllwild to pick up a package I mailed myself for the hike. From there, I may head to Joshua Tree National Park. Stay tuned to see if I actually make it there tomorrow.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

1 comment:

  1. HIYA SARA,member me? its Dave I was gonna do the southern tier bicycle trip with you,but had to bail.just now looked in on your blog,WOW ,you sure have been busy,sorry to about the hard time you have been having/had.well; i told you once ,i told you a hundred times YOU ARE HERO in my book.i would still like to get to pensacols and do some riding with you ,that is if you still have your trike, ihave yet to ride the blackwater trail there in your neck of the woods,and since it looks like you are gonna be out west for a while,you lucky dog you. its gonna be a while befor i can ride anyway since 2 weeks ago i managed to hit a curb and broke my collar bone,BUMMER DELUXE, luckily my girlfriend has a really nice foot forward 3 speed that i manage ride to my A.A. meetings 10 mile round trip,its like going from a really nice sports car to a station wagon,but hey i'm still riding,SARA i really dont know what to say about all this ,it breaks my heart ,but thats just me being selfish,if that makes sense,i dont mean to sound pitying or anything like that.not sure what i'm trying to express here,just want you to know that i'm still here and that i support you in all that you do,enjoy the west and e-mail me if you like ,hope to hear from you soon ,until then ...LATERZZZ David /eyeballmann@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete