Thursday, April 15, 2010

My next adventure

Hi, everyone. Welcome back. Did you miss me?

For Newell (who just wants to know where I am and that I'm okay): I'm still safe at home on my couch in my living room. You can stop reading now. I'm fine.

For everyone else: I have been ever so busy preparing for my PCT hike. But before I talk about all that, how about an update on my peeps from the bike trip? As you might recall, Carol and Rosie left the group in Opelousas, TX. They made it nearly to El Paso, TX, before Carol fell ill with asthma-type symptoms. They went home on March 14. She has planted her summer garden and is recuperating. Mike ended his journey, as well, on March 24, in Alpine, TX. He is back home in NY, looking for a job that he hopes will take him to distant places. Ryan and Bryan made it to San Diego on April 11. Good job, guys!! Bryan will be starting graduate school in August. And I will see Ryan at the PCT kickoff party next week. Finally, Jeff is still traveling through California, in no rush to reach the coast.

I can't believe it's been nearly six weeks since I came home from the bike trip. Time flies! I've been preparing for the hike and working on projects around the house now that Spring has finally sprung. Although I miss the people I work with, I've enjoyed the time off from work. It's been a much-needed rest.

I leave tomorrow for San Diego -- on a plane. I don't like flying much, so I'm not looking forward to the trip, but I'm excited about getting to California. There is a couple in S.D. who hiked the PCT in 2007. They were befriended by so many wonderful people that they have decided to pay that kindness forward by hosting hikers. They will pick me (and others) up from the airport and take me back to their home, where I will stay with other hikers until Sunday morning, when they will take us all to the trail head, which is about an hour and a half east of S.D. near a small town called Campo (try to find it on a map). The trail begins literally at the border between the US and Mexico. The government has erected a tall metal fence, so I won't be able to actually cross into Mexico, but I will begin my journey on the border. I can't wait!!!

Just so you know -- for all those who are addicted to reading my blog everyday -- I absolutely will not be able to post every day. I will be in the wilderness most of the time. I previous years' hiker has actually made a list of places along the trail that did (or did not) have good cell service with my carrier, so that will be helpful. But there will be many days where there will be none. Try not to worry. I'll post as soon as I can. My mom will have high priority (of course), which means that I will find a way to contact her by voice as close to daily as possible, so if you're beside yourself with worry, call her; she'll be the first to know.

Okay, it's late (for me) and I'm off to bed. Don't know when I'll get to sleep in a bed again. Might be awhile. I hope I have a restful nights' sleep. It's going to be a whirlwind next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment