Tuesday, May 18, 2010

May 17 -- Home again

It was hard saying goodbye to Jan and Jim. I miss them already. I wish I didn't live so far away and could visit them more often. I would enjoy hiking with Jan all over the continent.

Flying is never an enjoyable event for me, but the San Diego airport is well-organized and easy to navigate. When I turned in my rental car, I noted that I had been 3,786 miles in that car. I had probably driven several hundred miles in the first car I had (the one with the dead battery), so I'm estimating that I covered at least 4,000 miles this trip. That's a long way to drive in a month!

The three-hour flight to Houston was uneventful. However, when I got to the airport, I turned on my phone and had a voicemail message from work: Call in now! I called in, but couldn't talk to the boss, so I made an appointment to talk with him tomorrow afternoon. Calls like that always make me nervous about my job security. I hope everything is okay.

My connecting flight was a half hour late, and we had a last-minute gate change, but the pilot promised to try to make up some time in the air, which he did. I was thankful, too, that my one checked box made it intact. I'm always worried that they will lose my luggage.

My mom picked me up at the airport and was really, really happy to see me (of course). She took me to dinner, which was nice, since I hadn't eaten much all day. She had even bought me some cereal and milk for breakfast, so I wouldn't have to go to the store right away. That was nice! And to top it off, she had washed and waxed my car while I was away. Thanks, Mom!!!!

My two kitty boys were happy to see me, too. My big boy tried to pout for awhile and let me know that he didn't appreciate my being gone so long, but he soon came around. I'm glad, because I missed them so and wanted lovin'.

I get to sleep in my own bed tonight. Yeah!! No more sleeping on the ground in a tent in the cold. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment