Saturday, May 8, 2010

May 8 -- Zion National Park

And I thought 32 was cold the night before. It was 27 at Bryce Canyon last night. Unfortunately, I didn't eat enough before I went to bed (which is key), so I was cold most of the night. As I usually do, I awoke with the sun and reluctantly crawled out of my sleeping bag around 6:15 am. I quickly tore down my tent, stuffed everything in the car, and headed toward the nearest place that served hot coffee. I can make coffee with my alcohol stove, but it takes a few minutes. Meanwhile, I shiver while I wait. I'd rather just pay someone to make it for me. Better yet, I'd rather pay someone to make me breakfast while they're at it.

The only game in town was just outside the park gates. Being the only game in town, meant it was pricey. But you can't put a price on warmth when your fingers and toes are numb. I enjoyed their breakfast buffet and four cups of coffee (with real half and half, my favorite). Then I hit the road.

It was only an hour and a half to the park, along another scenic byway. The drive through the park was twisty-turny, and there was a really long tunnel that had been blasted out of the mountainside. It was VERY narrow and dark, but pretty neat to drive through nonetheless. I didn't stop at any of the turnouts on the road to the campground, because I wanted to get there before it filled up. Check-out time is eleven, but it's a weekend, so I wanted to get there early and snag a spot. I did, but just barely. Not many people were leaving, because of the weekend. Thus, it's rather crowded, but still beautiful, as it's surrounded by high rock walls on every side. The Virgin River runs along the edge of it. I couldn't find a spot near the river, but I can still hear it faintly from where I am.

It took me awhile to get situated today. I'm kind of tired from all the traveling and sleeping on the ground in the cold. I didn't really get moving until well after noon. I walked over to the visitor's center, then hopped on a bus that took me to places in the park that you're not allowed to drive. I hiked several trails and took lots of photos, then headed back to the campground for a late lunch, which consisted of a peanut butter and honey sandwich.

I was going to do some more hiking after lunch, but I really, really wanted to do laundry and bathe, if possible. There's a small touristy town just outside the park boundary, so I drove there and found a laundromat. Ahhh, fresh clothes. It's been nearly a week, or at least since the Grand Canyon, whenever that was. I tried to find a shower, but no luck. This will be night two without one, which is pushing my limit (I know, I'm spoiled; what can I say?). So I have clean clothes on a not so fresh body. Hmmm. I'm thinking about heading to Las Vegas tomorrow, just to sleep in a bed and take a shower. I need some down time.

But first, I'm planning on hiking four miles into a canyon on a little-used trail recommended by a park ranger at the visitor's center. I had intended to hike into The Narrows, which is a trail up the riverbed of the Virgin River where the canyon walls converge into a slot canyon, which is supposed to be the bombdiggity. But, alas, it's closed. Too early in the season. The park will let you hike the riverbed only if the water is running less than 140 feet per second. Right now, it's running 588. That's too swift. So I'm disappointed about that, but this other trail is supposed to be really nice, so I'll see what it's like on my way out of the park tomorrow.

It's only supposed to be in the low 50's tonight, so that's good. Maybe I'll actually get some sleep. But I'm still dreaming of a bed. Perhaps tomorrow night.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are seeing some great canyons and river areas. Glad you are taking the time to see all these places.........and your pics are great! Stay safe and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete