Wednesday, May 5, 2010

May 5 -- Arches NP

When I emerged from my tent this morning, I was once again awe-struck by my surroundings. Though I couldn't see the river, I heard it. I could, however, see red rock walls towering over me in every direction. Truly amazing. I will remember it always.

Arches NP was only 15 miles or so from where I had camp, which was nice. I didn't have to drive far before I was immersed in the wonders of this national treasure. I thought today, as I have many times before, how wonderful and insightful it was for our government to set these parks aside and protect them for our use and enjoyment. They are, indeed, treasures and must be treated as such.

All I had ever heard about Arches NP came true for me today. I marveled at the architecture of the sandstone. Enormously giant boulders perched precariously on what seemed like toothpicks, poised at any moment to tumble off and crash into the earth at its feet. I learned today how arches are made in the sandstone. It's too complex for me to relate here, but suffice it to say, it's a miracle of nature and a sight to behold. I will try to post my photos as soon as possible, but it will probably be awhile, since I will remain in relative desolation for the next few days. Las Vegas will probably be my next "town stop." Trust me, the photos will be worth the wait.

Unlike Canyonlands NP, Arches is more about driving to this overlook or that short trail to an arch, than about hiking among the red-rock spires. So I spent the day driving, then hiking, then driving, then hiking. The park road was about 22 miles long (one way in and one way out), but there were intersecting roads with things to see. I probably hiked a good 6 or 7 miles today, all things considered. It was fairly easy walking, although the wind kicked up after noon and was blowing sand around pretty fiercely.

Around 3 pm, I was tired and had seen and done all that I wanted to see and do, so I decided to drive in the direction of my next stop: Capitol Reef NP. I made it to Green River, a small town off I-70. For a population of less than 1000, it sure has an awful lot of hotels/motels and RV parks. Otherwise, the town seems economically depressed. Curiously, though still in the middle of a vast desert environment, the town has a plush, green golf course smack dab in the middle of town. A small state park, where I will lay my head tonight, is in the middle of the golf course. Literally. The greens encircle the park. It's kind of weird. But the park is lush and green with the same kind of grass and is very, very lovely for a state park. It's truly an oasis in the desert. Best of all, it has showers. Unfortunately, the water pressure was such that you can't stand under the water, because it will blast the skin off your body. You literally have to jump in and out of it. But it was warm and wet, and I'm fresh as a daisy. I stopped at a store and tried to buy a 55-gallon drum of body lotion (it's so dry out here!!!), but they didn't have one. I've now applied lotion 3 times, and my skin is still cracked. What's a girl to do?

There is so little humidity, in fact, that I'm constantly shocking myself with static electricity. The other night, I was in my tent, taking off my jacket, and arcs of light were jumping off all my fingers onto the jacket. It was the weirdest thing. I thought I had left my flashlight on and it was wallowing in my sleeping bag, until I realized the light was coming from my fingers -- all of them. Too cool.

Anyway, after my shower and slather session, I went to eat at one of the only two restaurants in town. It overlooked the Green River, which is a fairly wide, brown (not green) body of water. I had a Gardenburger on grilled rye bread with swiss cheese and grilled onions. Yum! And I had a huge plate of salad from a salad bar. Double yum. I have been subsisting on junky snack foods and was craving vegetables, so I am happy! I'm as clean as a whistle, and as full as a pot-bellied pig!

I'm now back at the state park. The wind is howling. There's a 30 percent chance of rain tonight, but the wind seems too fierce for rain. It is easily gusting to 30 miles per hour. It should be interesting sleeping under such conditions. I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes. Night, all!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment