Sunday, May 2, 2010

May 2 -- The canyon is grand

Sometime during the night, I was awakened by this shrill, screeching cry. Not like a coyote howl. Not like a bird call, either. There was more than one creature making the sounds, and they were close to where I lay sleeping, cocooned in my bag. The sounds persisted for several minutes, and then the total silence that is the forest returned. I lay there for awhile, wondering what was going on outside the thin mesh of my dwelling, but I decided not to contemplate it too long, lest I might never sleep again, and I need my beauty rest. I suspect it was elk communicating, but it was an ungodly sound in the middle of the night. I hope it doesn't happen again tonight. My vehicle is not comfortable to sleep in.

Wearing thermal underwear, a shirt, a down jacket, a hat, gloves, and three pairs of socks, I managed to sleep fairly well, despite the disturbance. However, since I went to bed at dark thirty (7:30 pm here), I awoke at 5:30 am, and started packing up my stuff. It was cold -- about 35 degrees -- but not what had been predicted. The sky, however, was dark with the threat of rain, or snow, so I made quick work of breaking camp. Fortunately, there was a McDonald's a few miles up the road, and it was open at 6:00 am, so I had a big breakfast and lots of coffee to begin my day. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot, it started snowing. It was dry and light and fluffy snow, and didn't stick to the ground, but the wind was blowing it around, so it looked more ominous than it was.

After breakfast, I set off for the canyon. There was virtually no one there. Of course, it was Sunday, and the visitor's centers and concessionaires didn't open until 8:00, so I almost had the park to myself. I parked at one of the overlooks and walked several miles down a trail that skirts the rim of the canyon. It was breathtaking. I now understand why people come from all over the world to see this place. It is truly amazing. I don't think there are adjectives adequate to describe its beauty and grandeur. So I won't try. Suffice it to say, I walked in wonderment, while it snowed all around me.

To decrease the amount of automobile traffic in the park, there are free shuttle buses that run on natural gas that will take you all over the park, to all of the vistas and visitor's centers, and eating establishments. They are run with military precision, and are very convenient. Thus, I rode the buses to certain places, then walked several miles up and down the rim trail until I got too cold.

Around noon, I drove a few miles into town and had lunch. I also saw a movie at the IMAX on -- what else? -- the Grand Canyon. I had seen it before, several years ago, but it was still enjoyable. Anything shown on that big of a screen is entertaining to me.

After the show, I drove back to the canyon and visited places I hadn't seen during my morning session. There is so much to see and do. No two vistas are the same. Moreover, the weather was constantly changing, which cast different light on the canyon. It snowed off and on all day, but there were also periods of bright sunshine, so each view was different and interesting and beautiful. I shot a ton of photos and video. I can't wait to upload it. Unfortunately, I know that it cannot and will not do it justice. This place is too grand to be captured adequately by a camera.

When I had seen all that I wanted to see, I located a shower facility within the park. I took a wonderfully glorious hot shower (my first in a couple days). Someone in a stall next to me was singing "I'm in heaven." I agreed, and would have sung along, but I can't sing, so I chose not to ruin their experience.

I'm now having dinner in the same place I had breakfast (McDonald's), which is not my favorite place, but it's dark now, and I have yet to make camp, so I needed something quick. I'm using this time, as well, to post this blog from the comfort of a heated establishment. It's really, really supposed to be 25 tonight and is already in the mid-30's. It never got above 45 today to begin with. I will soon drive to the campground, throw my tent on the ground, and dive into my sleeping bag.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Arches National Park in Utah. At least, that's my plan, but my plans are fluid and subject to change, as you know. So . . . stay tuned.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

No comments:

Post a Comment